Mirei-san; tools for clean up

Starting from left to right,

a pair of scalpels, one with a curved blade and stout handle, for general carving and rough tidying up. the second is a fine handle with pointed blade, I use that for cleaning up in fine areas, or doing light work.

I will change to a different shape blade if need be.

Next is a hardened steel pin mounted in the jaws of scalpel, great for cleaning out, picking out, a light re-scribing of some sculpted detail.

Next to that is a Micro Chisel, great for heavy duty cleaning up. No, I don't use a hammer, just hand power, and take off thin layers as need be. Better control that way.

For this project, my new best friend is a bottle of Vallejo plastic putty. Great stuff, effectively odorless, binds well, close to zero grain. (some fillers I've used in the past could flake away, due to grain, and other factors)

My Games workshop putty tool, actually became useful once I spent a weekend polishing the surfaces to a mirror finish. Tip to you budding sculptors out there, polish your tools. You'll be forever cleaning up rough finishes until you do!

Some rat tail files, some wet and dry sandpaper (in the upper corner) and....

the tool on the right is actually a dedicated scribing tool. Had it that long, cant remember which brand......may have been Squadron, or Micro mark, or someone completely else....
But I will be using it to re-scribe some lines that are soft/ missing!

Onto the build process!

Comments

Popular Posts