Sunday, March 24, 2013

Liz, miniature Dachshund

Part of the springtime sculpture is Kanae walking her dog Liz.

Here's Liz, posing for the camera......



Springtime sculpt, planning....

There's only so much that can be worked out on paper, and Shep Paine (of 'How to make dioramas' book, a must have for anyone aspiring to place a figure, vehicle or combination of in or on any kind of groundwork) recommends laying out a mock up to get a grasp of size, lines, construction, all those little things, and once in 3-d, just being able to turn it around and look at it from various angles helps spots better ideas or potential problems.....

onto the mock up photos...










I'll be showing this off to a few fellow modelers soon, and getting some input form them.

Already scrapped one idea, one of including a Cherry Blossom tree in full bloom. It would ave just over powered the figure if built to scale (or even at half scale)

Kanae has pre-viewed this layout, and although surprised by the size, so far she has approved.


















The creative process on the desk.....

I reckon that even if I got a bigger desk, work bench or what ever, the "creative process" would just expand to cover the available space.....


And this is construction phase, not painting, which is a different kind of chaos.....


Friday, March 22, 2013

Experiments with feathers & airbrush


Ok, nothing like a new airbrush to encourage some new ideas...... I'm going to replace the sculpted feathers on the Lady Pirate with real feathers.

Vallejo acrylics, no priming. (The grey primer will kill the translucent effect I'm after, I feel)

Kept the pressure down, and applied light coats.

Applied the paint, let dry, then clipped the feather...... first lesson, paint sticks the individual parts of the feathers to each other. Second lesson, if you try to clip after painting, there will be separation of the feather elements.

Darn, and other swear words.....

So next time, I'll pre-clip the feathers, and then apply the paint.

The feathers I picked up from the local park while walking my dog. These could also be found in fishing shops that have fly tying equipment.

Laying out the anatomy framework


So here is where I started planning the basic form of the figure for the "Springtime walk" project. Took me three goes, using anatomy forms as a guide. I first worked out a head unit, and cut it out of Evergreen plastic sheet. Then I filed and sanded it to shape, and marked up critical points with a permanent marker. 
Then I worked out body size from there. First effort looked too tall - it worked out at 8 heads high, giving a stretched leg and torso effect. Kanae is of normal build and height for a Japanese lady, so reworked it till the dimensions came in at 7 1/2 heads high. (Blue markings first effort, green marking corrected effort)



Once I had done all that, I walked away from it for an hour, had a cup of tea, and did some other stuff. Then I roughed out a head, chest and hip unit. Laying them out on my chart gave me a better chance to check, and it looks more natural. A look over this seems to be natural in size. 

I have since baked these units, and carved them down in size slightly. I'll be adding layers of putty on top of these units, so to avoid 'size creep' it's better if I start undersized first.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

New blog I follow

A blog of a fellow modeler, nice guy, good eye and common sense, loving husband and parent, I'm lucky to have met such a genuinely nice guy!

Paulo Castro, skilled modeler, originally from Brazil, and lives here in Adelaide with his family!

Here's his blog - I've seen his work, very good, with great attention to detail..... His last aeroplane was a 1/72 Messerschmidt 109, in tropical finish.

Very neat build, and a subtle application of effects.