Monday, January 18, 2010

More work on the bike frame






OK, working on the bike frame.

I'll share this learning straightaway though - if I could, I'd do the left half/ right half of the bike frame, then solder both halves together. Simple.

I may yet do that, as a rework though.

That's the beauty of soldering stuff - re-apply some heat, separate it out, and "Ta-Dah!" reusable parts. Well, mostly.

The way I am doing it is a bit cart before horse.

Checked the figure dimensions out for scale, estimated roughly where the pelvis sits, and where the hips would articulate from there.

After all, riding a bike with the legs at something close to 180 degrees not only looks unnatural, it makes the eyes water (in real life) just thinking about it!

So the above measuring gave me an idea of the width of the bike. This will effect the thickness of the tyres/ hubs/ discs in the end, but I have to start somewhere!

Once I had that, I soldered some cross braces on. to add stability to frame as I worked on it. So good so far.

Stopped there, and started working on the radiator. Basically, a plastic sheet, with plastic rod (tiny) glues to it. Note how one end looks rough - I only did one end neat (well, mostly neat).

Then I trimmed that end down, and tidied it up.
Found some etched brass mesh (for some long ago project) and cut that down to size, added that wonder chemical of the 20th century, super glue, and now the radiator has a spiffy mesh front.

Although, truth be told, most of the details will be missed, probably, so I wouldn't bother with such detail ever again, next time. Oh well, learn and do, then live and learn.

Other thoughts - Ben confirmed that bike engines come out and go in sideways, which makes sense, and that's how I plan to build it too.

And this scratch building is like Sudoko - looks easy, then gets real fiddly darned quick!!!

Ciao for now

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

bike frame - base started






Reviewed the plans, looked at them, and realised - "This needs a review from a bike rider", so asked Dave (my stepfather) to look them over.

And found some flaws!! Thank goodness, as if the motorbike was wrong, then the figures would be wrong, which means a rework in the future!
So 20 minutes of review form an expert, has saved me about 20 - 50 hours of work (and rework!!)

So we reworked the plans, in colour pencil.

He also has lent me his manual for his BMW, so I'll be using that for references, to aid construction.

For strength, added a bit of paperclip (the modelers universal useful bit) between the two pieces of brass tube, to add strength , and limit the 'wobble' as I apply a soldering iron to the brass.

seemed to work, so I'll persist with this.

to keep angles consistent, I cut out a guide from a bit of card, used that as a guide - again, simple and effective. Big fan of simple and effective, and will minimise a 'twist' in the frame later.

Joins are a bit scruffy, I'm not fussed, it has a fair degree of strength, and its amazing what sand paper, some putty and a coat of paint can hide!!

So that is the base of the frame, I'll work on the top part later

cheers

PS, just realised that this is turning into a scratch built effort!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Wedding Sculpt, plans


o
Here are the plans for the motor bike and side car frames.

I'll make them out of brass wire, soldered together, and give a skin of plastic sheet where appropiate.

I'll be cannibalising a kit for some parts (balls to the idea of building everything from scratch!!) yet I elect to make the frame work form brass for long term strength!

I'm going to Melbourne city, tomorrow, for some supplies I can't get locally (sigh, the country life....) plus, there will other things I'll be following up on too.....

the frog is one form a water tank in our garden, which just goes to porve that life shows up while we make other plans!!

Ciao

Wedding Sculpt - offical start point


Seeing as I have had some past success with sculpting, and wanting to do something above and beyond a 'new toaster' for the happy couple, I offered to do a wedding sculpt for the two - the idea of a cake topper rapidly got nixed, as the cake is one of those pyramid thingies, made up of little puff balls of pastry. No way is would stand up to a sculpted figure.

So, to make something meaningful for the couple, we decided that the pair should be riding a motorbike, with a side car, him driving, her side saddle, in the side car is her son, and his dog.

Lots of reference photos gathered, more will be needed, and time at the bench.

I can see myself juggling time between this, and two other projects I want to get done. Should be interesting, to say the least!!

Cheers for now

First Figure for 2010




Have completed the first figure for 2010 (well,near enough) a small (40mm) scale cartoon type Character of a mounted bugler.

A Mig Productions figure, Flea Series, same as the Russian Pilot & Napoleonic soldier series.

Did him up as a redcoat, as I had the blue Napoleonic soldier, and wanted some variety!!

Only a temporary base, until I find a rectangular one.

The sharp eyed amongst you may notice that although he has a scabbard for a sword, no actual sword handle (which got lost in the move) so I'll be making one up for him.

Cheers for now