Far Side Humourous "Flat" sculpt


"I told you guys to slow down and take it easy, or something like this would happen"

One of my more favourite "Far Side" cartoons, where castle defenders, manning a catapult, are receiving a telling off because they have just accidentally launched one of their own guys from the catapult.

The edges aren't squared off yet, the 'lumps' you can see are beads of water from where I was trying to smooth the surface down. It looks a bit bowed because it is; I balanced this on my hand under the work light so the shadows could make the figures stand out.

This could be labeled a plaque, a flat figure or a demi round, given it is mounted to a background plate, it would be a plaque.
(Oh, quick legal bit; All rights reserved of original artist; intended as a study piece for personal use only. Not intended for commercial reproduction)

Similar in style to the Greek and Roman friezes, partly rounded figures carved into or onto walls.
So there is a long history of this kind of sculpting taking place.

This is also a practice piece, to get me used to working with putty, smoothing it, and gain confidence with handling of it.

I have several projects still in the pipeline, so this practice of handling the putty is good practice, and a bit of fun!

Thinking about it, this may be the first post that is a "miniature moment" and tackles humour.

Gosh..........

Comments

  1. Wow, Jamie - that is so cool! And you sculpted this yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rudi!
    Yep, copied it all by myself, slinging putty.

    When I get a few more under my belt, and feel more confident in my skills, I may even do a piece for you and Mrs Tarok!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chas,
    credit where credit is due, all to Gary Larson for the original idea; I just made a sculpt out of it.

    Thanks for looking in!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts