Jaguar Warrior - Ustulan de Qahalom by Big Child Miniatures

A bust inspired by the Small Subjects podcast Group Build (Fantsay Figures - bust) I finished this (or got to a point where I couldn't progress without stuffing up) and it sat while I ruminated on what I wanted to be a slightly different from normal base for me. Standard busts work fine when just mounted neatly on a plinth, I wanted to stretch myself a bit, and add a bit of context to the character. It did take a while to think over, then it kinda resolved; not too much, not too little, didn't want the base competing with the bust. So here is the Conquistadors Nightmare, Ustulan de Qaholom.....
Did a fur texture, with jaguar markings, the jaguar being a sacred animal to the Aztecs. It's a rather texture rich sculpt, done digitally, and then cast traditionally in resin, so rather nice. Parts break down is logical and overall the figure is easy to get to, so you can paint it, so long as you leave off the spears, shield and headpiece/ hair part. It's a rather powerful figure, full of energy too. Here's a few more photos.
The gem stone on the wrist is a painted effect, with a lot of gloss coats to catch that shine and glimmer. The obsidian blades are gloss, with ink effects in the gloss for the difference between the flat surfaces and cutting edges on the sword/ club in his left hand. On handedness, I didn't notice this warrior was left handed until I looked at the bust in a mirror, and then I realised! - Blinding Flash of the Obvious!!!
He keeps his right hand(paw) free to do maiming and clawing, the sword is there to parry and slash.... and if you are a right handed swordsman, that's a different style you'd not come across....

He seems at home amongst the rest of the large scale busts (1/9 scale on average)

I have to laugh at this image, the little 54mm soldiers are peering at the boobs of the Chinese ladies....


Comments

Popular Posts