The thrill of a new purchase, the slump mid way, then the mess builds up - Clean out!!

 As modelers (or golfers or fishers or hobbyists of choice) we accumulate bits of kit to help us achieve the vision or goal that we have in our heads. 

We'll often start the project (assemble the major parts, or buy the golf club, or whatever) then start a particular project...


But then we need to learn how to use the new tool, or wait until glue or paint or some step needs time to complete, before we move onto the next step.... so a delay.

We usually return until the next step forces a delay. 

I haven't bothered with a head count of parts or kits, as a number is just a number. Reframing the situation, I'd say that it was about a 3:2 of pending unstarted kits to partially assembled kits. 

Not an overly great ratio. 

So had a huge clean up. 


I can now see the floor, get to the hobby bench, and do some work.

It was a simple process, once I started - pick it up, estimate how much time has elapsed since I started it, and if it's been more than 12 months, bin it.
It was emotional during the process, at the end though, it was a greater sense of relief. I can walk in and breathe.



A pile of bags full of debris from the hobby room, and the spare bedroom...

The choice to filter and be ruthless with the selection process was easy...
Because back in December 2022 my father passed away after a long bout with cancer.  Months later, my step mum mentioned that she'd walked into the shed and found so many half done projects...

Which got me thinking as to what projects I want to complete rather than leave either half done, or worse, an unstarted project.....

So let go of the started projects that are just a pure 'meh' when examined and focus on what I can and will be able to finish. 

I'm at the age when I need to think about life span, skills (and how long those skills will remain optimal) and remaining time....

So build the kits, don't be afraid to mess up, as each kit you build and complete gets you closer to having a solid set of skills....
 




 

Comments

Popular Posts