Melbourne Model Expo 2011 - over view

Well, for the first time in about 7 - 8 years, I managed to get to a model expo.

Explaining this to co-workers and friends, well, I said "it's kind of a convention, for scale artists"

True enough, I suppose.

I got there about 1pm on the first day, the event being held at the Sandown Entertainment centre. (and will be held today 12th and tomorrow 13th).

I was surprised by the area covered, and the variety of entries (positive surprise). I suspect I was still a bit early to see the full array of entries, as the tables didnt seem full to brim like other events I have read about.

There was a cafe serving hot meals, demos by various experts (I sat in on parts of resin casting and weathering with pigments)

I spent a lot of time, doing orbits, just seeing what was on display, and how the models were finished.

Vendors were there, the hobby shop guys barely visible behind walls of kits, while the after market people were doing their bit on the opposite side of the hall, with enough resin and brass detail accessories to almost justify serious consideration of selling organs.

Crowd wise, fairly general, other modelers, mums (and grand-mas) shepherding young kids about, Dads taking an interest and shepherding kids away from the "touch to see" natural curious response of little kids. Lots of cameras about, from little digital point & shoot, to cameras that would look out of place bolted to the top of a missile launcher (ie big lens)

Onto the photos, roughly by groupings, not in the order I wandered around in.

Comments

Popular Posts