Social Media vs Blogs; Historical posts and pictures...

Blogging really took off for many of us, and with various degrees of updates, in the early 2000's with the rise of internet and affordable PC's coming together. Forums were a popular place to find like minded people with similar interests, from around the world...

Then Facebook, MySpace, and a few other social media platforms emerged, and overtook forums as the getting together digital meeting point...

Now I go to 'Your Memories" on Facebook, look at an old memory from 10 years ago, and the photos... well I get a "something's gone wrong, oops!"

File was not found · Issue #516 · greatsuspender/thegreatsuspender · GitHub 

So now I find myself moving back to the blog, as I can go back (to often embarrassing) older posts, but the images are still there, along with the post article.

Uploading is easier on Facebook, Instagram,  and few others, however if I want to go back and find out about an old technique or article or idea, well, the blog seems to have archival retrieval power. 

It looks like it will be a migration of older Facebook posts being put up here, with a entry describing when I did the project in question...

I'm still aware that this is digital archiving, which is not as good as physical archiving.... remember though, the scale model is the physical article I have in my model cabinet, and the article is a commentary or notes on the project. 

I remember a quote from somewhere, on how "Analogue information degrades elegantly, while digital information degrades absolutely" - think corrupted files, compared to a dusty journal. 

Tales of Lives Richly Lived, but True? (Published 2011) | Old diary, Journal  aesthetic, Vintage diary 

compared to ..... 

2023 Fixed: The File is Corrupted and Cannot be Opened in Word/Excel

Comments

Popular Posts